Last updated: April 23, 2021
Interpretation and Definitions
Capitalized words have set meanings defined under the following conditions. The following definitions shall have the same meaning regardless of whether they appear in singular, plural, or possessive form.
- Account means a unique account created for You to access our Service or parts of our Service.
- Company (referred to as either “the Company”, “We”, “Us”, or “Our” in this Agreement) refers to The University of Cincinnati Economics Center for Education & Research, 225 Calhoun St., Suite 370, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219.
- Cookies are small files that are placed on Your computer, mobile device or any other device by a website, containing the details of Your browsing history on that website among its many uses.
- Country refers to Ohio, United States.
- Device means any device that can access the Service such as a computer, a cellphone or a digital tablet.
- Personal Data is any information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual.
- Service refers to our operation of the Website and any products or tools offered therein.
- Service Provider means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Company. It refers to third-party companies or individuals employed by the Company to facilitate the Service, to provide the Service on behalf of the Company, to perform services related to the Service or to assist the Company in analyzing how the Service is used.
- Third-party Social Media Service refers to any website or any social network website through which a User can log in or create an account to use the Service.
- Usage Data refers to data collected automatically, either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Website refers collectively to the websites owned and operated by The University of Cincinnati Economics Center for Education & Research, accessible at https://www.economicscenter.org; https://economicsresearch.org/, https://uceconcenter.com/, and https://ecbookclub.wordpress.com/.
- You means the individual accessing or using the Service, or the company, or other legal entity on behalf of which such individual is accessing or using the Service, as applicable.
Collecting and Using Your Personal Data
Types of Data Collected
- Personal Data: While using Our Service, We may ask You to provide Us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify You. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address;
- First name and last name;
- Phone number;
- Address, state, province, ZIP/Postal code, city;
- Usage data;
- Personal identifying information such as birthday or gender; and
- Financial information that is provided in connection with certain Services.
- Usage Data
- Usage Data is collected automatically when using the Service.
- Usage Data may include information such as Your Device's Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that You visit, the time and date of Your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
When You access the Service by or through a mobile device, We may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device You use, Your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of Your mobile device, Your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser You use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
We may also collect information that Your browser sends whenever You visit our Service or when You access the Service by or through a mobile device.
You have the ability to request that We, at any time, delete Your Personal Data if You are no longer using the Services or accessing the Website (or any affiliated Social Media services, as described below). Please contact Us at the link provided in this Policy with any question regarding the deletion of Your Personal Data.
Tracking Technologies and Cookies
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Service may use local stored objects (or Flash Cookies) to collect and store information about Your preferences or Your activity on our Service. Flash Cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as those used for Browser Cookies.
- Web Beacons. Certain sections of our Service and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of a certain section and verifying system and server integrity).
Cookies can be “Persistent” or “Session” Cookies. Persistent Cookies remain on Your personal computer or mobile device when You go offline, while Session Cookies are deleted as soon as You close Your web browser.
We use both Session and Persistent Cookies for the purposes set out below:
- Necessary / Essential Cookies
Type: Session Cookies
Administered by: Us
Purpose: These Cookies are essential to provide You with Services available through the Website and to enable You to use some of its features. They help to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts. Without these Cookies, the Services that You have asked for cannot be provided.
- Cookies Policy / Notice Acceptance Cookies
Type: Persistent Cookies
Administered by: Us
- Functionality Cookies
Type: Persistent Cookies
Administered by: Us
Purpose: These Cookies allow us to remember choices You make when You use the Website, such as remembering Your login details or language preference. The purpose of these Cookies is to provide You with a more personal experience and to avoid You having to re-enter Your preferences every time You use the Website.
Use of Your Personal Data
The Company may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service, including to monitor the usage of our Service.
- To manage Your Account: to manage Your registration as a user of the Service. The Personal Data You provide can give You access to different functionalities of the Service that are available to You as a registered user.
- For the performance of a contract: the development, compliance and undertaking of the purchase contract for the products, items or services You have purchased or of any other contract with Us through the Service.
- To contact You: To contact You by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication, such as a mobile application's push notifications regarding updates or informative communications related to the functionalities, products or contracted services, including the security updates, when necessary or reasonable for their implementation.
- To provide You with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which We offer that are similar to those that You have already purchased or enquired about unless You have opted not to receive such information.
- To manage Your requests: To attend and manage Your requests to Us.
- For business transfers: We may use Your information to evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Data held by Us about our Service users is among the assets transferred.
- For other purposes: We may use Your information for other purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and to evaluate and improve our Service, products, services, marketing and Your experience.
We may share Your personal information in the following situations:
- With Service Providers: We may share Your personal information with Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service and to contact You.
- For business transfers: We may share or transfer Your personal information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of Company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of Our business to another company.
- With business partners: We may share Your information with Our business partners to offer You certain products, services or promotions.
- With other users: when You share personal information or otherwise interact in the public areas with other users, such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside. If You interact with other users or register through a Third-Party Social Media Service, Your contacts on the Third-Party Social Media Service may see Your name, profile, pictures and description of Your activity. Similarly, other users will be able to view descriptions of Your activity, communicate with You and view Your profile.
- With Your consent: We may disclose Your personal information for any other purpose with Your consent.
Social Media Services
As operator of the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UCEconomicsCenter/ the Company and the operator of the social network Facebook (Facebook Ireland Ltd.) are joint controllers pursuant to Art. 4 paragraph 7 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The controllers (1st controller: Facebook; 2nd controller: the Company) process personal data when You visit our Facebook page. The following describes which data is collected, how it is processed and which rights You have in this regard. As operator of the Facebook page, We have entered into agreements with Facebook that define the terms for use of the Facebook page, among other things. They are based on the Facebook Terms of Service and on the Other Terms and Policies that are listed at the end of the Terms of Service.
What data is collected: When visiting our Facebook page, Facebook automatically records various information. What information Facebook ultimately records is unknown to Us. This information is recorded regardless of whether You have a Facebook account or are logged into Your existing Facebook account at the time of Your visit. The information recorded by Facebook can be found under https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/update?ref=old_policy: “What type of information do we collect?”.
Purposes of processing: The information is processed firstly to enable Facebook to improve the system of advertising that it disseminates by means of its network, among other things. It is secondly intended to enable us, as operator of the Facebook page, to receive statistics that are compiled by Facebook based on visits to our Facebook page. Moreover, the information collected is also used to compile demographic and geographic analyses. The visitor statistics are transferred to Us exclusively in an anonymized form. We do not have access to the underlying datasets.
Legal grounds and legitimate interests: The personal data of users is processed according to our legitimate interests in optimizing the presentation of our company to interested parties (Art. 6 paragraph 1 sentence 1 point (f) GDPR).
Transfer of data: It is conceivable that some of the information collected may be processed outside of the European Union by Facebook, which is domiciled in the United States. Facebook Inc. is certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and is hence obliged to comply with the European data protection standards. We do not pass on any personal data ourselves.
Right to Object: You have the right to access, correction, transferability and deletion of Your data. The exact rights can be found under https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/update?ref=old_policy “How can you exercise your rights granted according to GDPR?”.
Nature of the shared responsibility: The agreements with Facebook, also in regard to shared responsibility, essentially state that requests for information and the exercise of other rights of data subjects are most sensibly addressed directly to Facebook. Feel free to contact Us at any time if Our assistance is still required.
Retention of Your Personal Data
The Company will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of Our Service, or We are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
Transfer of Your Personal Data
Your information, including Personal Data, is processed at the Company's operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located. It means that this information may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of Your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from Your jurisdiction.
Disclosure of Your Personal Data
Law enforcement: Under certain circumstances, the Company may be required to disclose Your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
Other legal requirements: The Company may disclose Your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Comply with a legal obligation;
- Protect and defend the rights or property of the Company;
- Prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service;
- Protect the personal safety of Users of the Service or the public; or
- Protect against legal liability.
Security of Your Personal Data
The security of Your Personal Data is important to Us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While We strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect Your Personal Data, We cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13. If You are a parent or guardian and You are aware that Your child has provided Us with Personal Data, please contact Us. If We become aware that We have collected Personal Data from anyone under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, We take steps to remove that information from Our servers.
Our collection of personal information on the Website that is directed to children under 13 is intended to follow the principles of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), a U.S. law designed to protect the online privacy of children under the age of 13. We will obtain parental consent before asking for personal information from children under the age of 13, unless the request for information falls within an exception that would be permitted under COPPA.
Links to Other Websites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.